3569 NW Gerritz Terrace, Portland OR 97229
Marketing professional with fifteen years of progressive experience in digital marketing, interactive strategy and eCommerce. Accomplished at creative development, website operations, project management, and collaborating effectively with stakeholders, vendors and clients.
Areas of expertise include:
Director of Digital Marketing
Directed digital and customer experience initiatives across all Knowledge Universe US brands including KinderCare, Knowledge Beginnings, Grove School and CCLC. Primary areas of focus include customer acquisition, site operations and enterprise platform management.
- Defined enterprise digital road-map and strategy for four distinct brands covering over 2,000 locations.
- Performed A/B and multivariate testing to increase conversion rates and maximize user experience.
- Integrated website analytics, online chat and CRM platforms giving end-end-end visibility into consumer behavior.
- Launched web service platform that synchronized location content across the web.
Product Manager, Global Digital Commerce
Managed enhancements and roadmaps for product catalog, ratings & reviews, promotions and product recommendation platform.
- Integrated data driven cross sell platform delivering a 150% increase in associated revenue.
- Enabled significant performance increases to product merchandising through automatic attribution and mass update.
- Directed cross-functional project teams of internal resources and external vendors.
GolfNow Inc. a Comcast Company
Director of Marketing
Directed marketing and eCommerce operations of the nation's largest golf tee time website with sales of $89 million. Provided strategic direction, eCommerce platform management, and user experience design of all websites.
Accountable for developing and implementing strategies for search engine optimization, email marketing, social media, search engine marketing and online video. Responsible for P&L and 7 direct reports.
- Developed and built advertising, customer acquisition and retention plans into an integrated marketing platform.
- Utilized web analytics to study consumer behavior and site performance.
- Developed online marketing campaigns lowering cost per customer acquisition by 48%.
- Expanded to over 50 markets in 2 years, increasing customer database over 200%.
- Launched local marketing initiatives including paid search, radio and print resulting in revenue growth of 50%.
Senior User Experience Developer
Senior front end designer and developer of Nike and Cole Haan eCommece web sites.
- Successful liaison between creative and development groups managing all consumer facing eCommerce web sites.
- Provided eCommerce technology recommendations and brand integration opportunities.
Interactive marketing and eCommerce developer for Internet consulting agency. Client based project work included:
- Reader's Digest— Lead User Experience Developer. Provided interactive strategy, web development and business analysis for eCommerce website.
- AT&T Wireless— Lead User Experience Developer. Responsibilities included web development, project management, and business analysis for eCommerce website.
- Health Allies— Lead User Experience Developer. Responsibilities included web development, graphic design and interface design for eCommerce website.
- Cenquest— Interface Designer and Web Developer. Responsibilities included web development, interface design, and information architecture for eCommerce website.
- The Nautilus Group— Senior Business Analyst. Responsibilities included business analysis and requirements gathering for eCommerce website.
Chrome Data Corporation
Provided marketing, graphic design and web development for automotive software firm.
- Planning, budgeting, and production of all marketing collateral and packaging.
- Web design activities included corporate site, automotive portal, and corporate intranet.
Tyee Euro RSCG
Responsible for graphic design, direct marketing, and account management. Project work included:
- Creating marketing collateral for corporate press kits.
- Assisting account managers in daily activities.
Freelance Marketing & eCommerce Consultant
Delivered interactive marketing, internet strategy, web development and design.
- Developed comprehensive marketing strategies and campaigns.
- Provided Interactive and eCommerce strategy.
- 2007 Search Engine Academy of Oregon
Search Engine Optimization Certification
- 1997 - University of Oregon
Web Design and Development Program
- 1995 Oregon State University
BS Business Administration, emphasis in Marketing.
Minor in Graphic Design
- Design and Publishing: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat
- Web Analytics: Adobe SiteCatalyst, Google Analytics
- Content Management: Ektron, Drupal, Wordpress, and Concrete
- General: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Microsoft Project and Visio
“Matt developed our brand and built our marketing department from the ground up. His broad experience in Internet and traditional marketing helped him hire a best-in-class team and dominate the online tee time space. GolfNow.com became the number one brand in online tee times during Matt’s tenure. He is a well-rounded, highly skilled and pragmatic leader who motivates his team to get the job done.” August 28, 2008
COO, GolfNow.com (a Comcast Company)
Managed Matt at GolfNow.com
“Matt is awesome. Beyond his great personality, he has breadth and depth of skill and experience in digital marketing and user experience that is hard to beat. Both strategic and tactical, Matt keeps long range objectives in sight while reacting to daily changes in business with agility. Matt also has vision and knows how to pull teams together in executing that vision. I miss working with him and would highly recommend him to anyone seeking extremely savvy and hardworking leaders for their organization.” April 10, 2008
Sr. Creative Producer (US Digital Commerce), Nike, Inc.
worked with Matt at Nike.
"During his time on the NikeStore.com Platform Team, Matt managed a number of large, complex and high-profile projects concurrently. Matt's detailed nature, technical saavy combined with his solid industry experience proved invaluable to the success of his projects and releases." November 5, 2009
NikeStore.com Platform Lead, Nike
Managed Matt at Nike
"Matt and I worked together on several global NikeStore capability updates, as well new features. Matt was an excellent project lead, taking the projects we worked on from brief to delivery. I've watched Matt perform and contribute to projects for a demanding client, with multiple stakeholders, on tight timelines with high expectations. Matt was responsible for coordinating the success of the execution." October 15, 2009
Global Design Manager, UED, Nike
Worked with Matt at Nike
"Matt has my recommendation. He is clearly knowledgeable and highly experienced in eCommerce, and in a well-rounded way which makes him a very valuable colleague. Matt knows both the technical/platform side of online retail and the Consumer Experience & Online Marketing worlds very well. I can rely on Matt to thoroughly and resourcefully investigate an opportunity/challenge, find the best solutions and best practices for the consumer, and to follow through with a solid business case and all his persuasive power to make the change happen in the most efficient manner possible. He is detailed and thorough in his analyses, and articulate and direct in presenting his findings and recommendations." October 14, 2009
Marketing Programs Manager, Nike
Worked with Matt at Nike
“Matt is one of the savviest marketers we've worked with on the client side. The proof is in the pudding: not only has he enabled us to achieved tremendous success with search marketing, but his own internal efforts have resulted in additional recognition, including a video case study by Google for their work with Google Print and Google Audio.” April 8, 2008
President and Founder, Anvil Media, Inc.
was a consultant or contractor to Matt at GolfNow.com
"I highly recommend Matt- he is a pleasure to work with, has a great understanding of the social commerce space, and had the initiative to amplify the voice of the customer at Nike. Matt was critical in managing ratings and reviews on the US and EMEA sites and translating the user generated content data to key stakeholders." December 4, 2009
Online Community Manager, Bazaarvoice
Was a consultant to Matt at Nike
“I've known Matt for some time and have always enjoyed how knowledgeable he is no matter the subject. His experience in digital marketing and design strategy are first rate. He is detail oriented and is an effective project manager who can deal cooperatively with any stakeholder. Matt's most recent work and dedication has helped GolfNow.com maintain a fresh look and feel and he is a big reason why that business was taken to the next level.” July 22, 2008
Director of Customer and Partner Services, GolfNow.com
worked with Matt at GolfNow.com
“Matt is an experienced online marketer with a great sense of reality of what works and what doesn't. Matt also has a great eye for design, colors and web applicability. I would recommend Matt for anyone looking to add an experienced, hands-on, marketing expert to their operation.” July 22, 2008
EVP Sales, Cypress Golf Solutions
Worked with Matt at GolfNow.com
“Matt is a very well rounded professional, with a deep understanding of both creative and technical aspects of the web. He effectively applies this knowledge towards building a strategic framework for the organization, and then breaks down the strategic into tangible business objectives across disciplines. As a result, he is an excellent and respected leader. Matt's ability to define and translate high level vision into tactical executions has helped create alignment within cross-functional teams, thereby maximizing synergies and quality of output. On a personal level, I have always enjoyed working with Matt because of his positive attitude, work ethic, and respect for others. I highly recommend him.” April 10, 2008
Senior Producer, Nike, Inc.
worked with Matt at Nike.
“Matt is a pleasure to work with. While alliance partners with Golfnow Matt was always courteous, responsive and quick to exectue on all directives layed out by both parties.” April 9, 2008
Owner, Magique Golf
was with another company when working with Matt at GolfNow.com
“Matt has always produced excellent work on time and within my budget. He is very experienced with various facets of online marketing which really helps him execute the creative work.” April 8, 2008
hired Matt as a Graphic/Web Designer in 2003, and hired Matt more than once